National Boarding Week is coming up 7-11 August 2023 – This is a time to celebrate our boarders,
staff and all the pieces that make up the wonderful life we share in boarding.
What is National Boarding Week?
Each year the NZBSA encourages the boarding community to participate in a week full of fun house activities and competitions known as National Boarding Week. The week raises awareness of the unique experience boarding has to offer and showcases the positive and lasting impact it can have on students’ lives. It’s also a chance for day students and school staff to gain a clearer understanding of life in boarding.
National Boarding Week provides an opportunity for schools to promote the benefits of boarding and how it can transform the lives of young people. A time to celebrate the lifelong friendships and connections that are formed and highlight the sense of community and belonging that boarders experience, as well as the exceptional academic and pastoral support they receive.
National Boarding Week invites participation from all boarding schools across New Zealand and serves as an opportunity for schools to connect with day students, their local communities, take part in house activities and reinforce the value of boarding education in shaping well-rounded individuals.
Challenges and activities during this week should be designed with inclusivity in mind, ensuring there’s something for everyone no matter their talents, skills or interests. Activities can range from house sporting challenges, local community activities, day trips and in-house fun. Ideas include;
- Complete a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle
- Choreograph and perform a dance on Tiktok
- Sleepovers for day students
- Prepare a meal and/or dance for parents
- Masterchef competition
- Bake a cake or biscuits
- Head out for a zoo or theme park experience
- Visit local attractions
- Pool competition
- Outdoor Picnic adventure
- Hiking Trip
- FilmFest video challenge – “The life of a boarder”
- Movie Night
- Quiz Night
- Golf Tournament
- Best decorated room competition
- Photography competition
- Board game and pizza night
- Relay challenge and tug of war
- House Karaoke
- Learn to surf, ski or other activity
- Perform random acts of kindness in your community
- Fundraise for a local cause / charity