- A pivotal leadership role within Tolcarne Boarding residence at St Hilda’s Collegiate School.
- A values-based role within a leading Dunedin school.
- Location – Dunedin.
St Hilda’s Collegiate School is an integrated Year 7 to 13 girls’ school located in the heart of Dunedin. The school’s vision is to create positive relationships and challenging learning grounded in Christian values, and to be a school which nurtures their students’ unique talents and capabilities. A short walk from the school is St Hilda’s modern boarding residence.
The Tolcarne Boarding residence is home to up to 163 students (Years 9 to 13), it is an inclusive and safe living environment where students are at the centre. The Tolcarne team provides students with the opportunity to grow to become confident, resilient, happy, young people who are able to authentically connect with others and reach their full potential in a changing world.
With a passion for living by their core values, they encourage their whanau to have fun along the way.
Due to an internal promotion, the role of Director of Boarding for Tolcarne has become available from Term 1, 2024. The role of Director of Boarding is a pivotal leadership position within the school community and offers a unique opportunity to continue building a culture of courage, authenticity, and connection.
About the opportunity
Reporting to the School Principal, the Director of Boarding provides leadership and guidance to the school, Tolcarne team, and its students. With a core focus on ensuring that Tolcarne is a safe and inclusive environment for all, this varied role will have responsibility for:
- Providing a happy, caring, inclusive, secure, and stable environment (both physical and emotional) for students living at Tolcarne Boarding residence.
- The leadership and development of Tolcarne staff.
- Maintaining an active involvement with students and their welfare.
- Proactively supporting the special nature of the school and hostel.
- Managing communications, functions and events for parents and the community
- Operational management – financial, facilities, health and safety and compliance.
- Planning (strategic and operational) and preparation of reporting for the Board of Proprietors.
You will be a courageous leader who is enthusiastic, self-motivated and flexible. You will be committed to providing a positive, nurturing, and inclusive boarding experience for all students.
Your style will be empathetic, and your effectiveness in pastoral care management will be essential.
With a genuine interest in the wellbeing of teenage girls, your interpersonal and communication skills will ensure effective relationships are developed across all stakeholders. Your people leadership skills will ensure a team who is committed, and in possession of the skills and attributes to ensure a progressive yet supportive environment and culture.
The role may suit an education professional who is passionate about pastoral care, though a background within education/teaching is not essential. Relevant operational, planning, financial and IT management skills will also compliment your personal attributes.
The position offers attractive family-friendly accommodation on the wider Tolcarne property.
How to apply
To learn more about the role, and to apply, visit the Decipher Group website https://www.deciphergroup.co.nz/jobs/director-of-boarding/
For more information about St Hilda’s and the Tolcarne Boarding residence please visit
For a confidential discussion about the role; please contact Lisa Edwards, Senior Business Partner on 021 240 4410, or email email@example.com.